Monday, November 4, 2013

Futuristic/Robotic Music II

I approve of these songs
(robotic voice)
Hey, kids! I thought I'd start this blog off by doing a comprehensive Part II of the music that inspired my manuscript, RoboNomics. Futuristic, robotic, great stuff like that. Some of it I covered over on my other blog, but I couldn't help but feeling, even as I wrote that post, that it left out some essential tracks.

Here's a run down of the tracks I covered there:

1. ON AND ON - The Hunter: For amazing use of robotic-like vocals

2. Grimes - Genesis: Spooky, otherworldly, ethereal. Love anything weird for the use of inspiration.

3. Massive Attack - Karmacoma: Trip-hop may be a thing of the past, but its association in my mind with movies like The Matrix will forever mean that it is futuristic, for me.

4. Goldfrapp - Human: More trip-hop, but that actually asks, "Are you human?" Spooky.

5. Fever Ray - Concrete Walls: Because if you're writing speculative fiction, you just gotta have some Fever Ray.

6. Crystal Castles - Courtship Dating: Soundtrack for an automated world

7. Kanye West & Bon Iver: Lost in the Woods: Because nothing says robots quite like auto-tune.

Definitely has some holes. So here's some other tracks that are more emblematic of the atmosphere I am trying to capture in my manuscript:



1. Allez Allez - Weird Science: Electronic beats. Enough said. In fact, here's some more:

2. Kate Boy - Northern Lights: Yummy and atmospheric.

3. Imagine Dragons - Radioactive: For some reason, this song has been inspiring me lately. Maybe
it's a mixture of the particular sound with all those lyrics about apocalypse.

4. Portal 2 OST - The Future Starts with You: Definitely have to have some Portal 2 in there. If you want to write about an increasingly electronic world, this is kinda what it would sound like. Am I right?

5. Björk - Army of Me: How could I have even written that first blog post without a little Björk? How is it even possible to write any sci fi without a little bit of her weird playing in the background? Seriously??!

6. Florence + the Machine - Cosmic Love: Maybe I just love the mix of electro beats and the emotional vocals. Similarly,

7. Ellie Goulding - Under Control: Add some bleeps and blorps and we've got a future city.

8. Janelle Monae - Many Moons: No robotic playlist would be complete without a little Janelle Monae and her obsession with androids.

9. Röyksopp feat. Robyn - The Girl and the Robot: A song that's actually about human-robot love. Haha.

10. Tiësto feat. Tegan and Sara - Feel It in My Bones: Quite a lot of umlauts on this playlist. Germanic language speakers and robots = gold? Can this be a coincidence?

So what do you think about my playlist? Did I miss anything (other than sci fi movie soundtracks, which I left out on purpose). What do you listen to while writing sci fi?

No comments:

Post a Comment