Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Classy Christmas

Less of a list of inspirational songs to write to this week, and more of a pre-holiday theme. I thought I'd do something a little more festive, since yesterday I had to go out to do Christmas errands. There was no avoiding it any longer. And like every year, by the time I get around it, it seems that the world has been immersed in Christmasland for at least a month. Driving from mall to book store to food store, I had to blast ACDC on the radio so that I could decompress from all the corny holiday jingles that were piped over mall speakers.

But then someone amazing happened. I stepped into the grocery store for a few minutes and they were playing one of the only Christmas songs I can actually tolerate:


Yay! Forget the peppy '50s ditties. That's much more like it. It's-so-cold-I'd-rather-be-sitting-on-a-beach Christmas. But I have to admit, it's not the only song that I don't totally regret being forced to listen to this time of year. I guess I have a few others. Tunes to which I can imagine that everyone celebrating Christmas has the same taste as me: champagne cocktails at the Nutcracker intermission. Total lack of gifts and instead formal affairs and conversations about the modern implications of the cultural appropriation of the Yule Log from Celtic pagan by early European Christians to increase the new religion's appeal. Or something.



Apparently, I have a thing about traditional British Christmas music. And, of course, A Muppet's Christmas Carol. It's the only Christmas movie that matters.

All right, well that's it for me, kids. Have a good holiday! See you in 2014! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment