Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Sounds into Words into Settings

I once wrote on my other blog about the system I use for establishing, editing and revising description. In that post, I wrote that sound was the most important, for me, of the senses. When thinking about fictional settings, the sight of it is primary in its establishment. Smell is secondary because it gives fictional scenes texture and a history. But sound, perhaps because I am an audiophile, gives a sense life and dimension. Without sounds, I think, scenes can fall flat.

But sometimes it's difficult to remember what things sound like. So that's when I turn to my perennial friend, YouTube. I've heard academics, back when I was a part of that world, denigrate the internet as a tool of research. But I don't care. I am old enough to remember the world before all of its collected knowledge was uploaded to accessible servers, and I'd much rather things were this way. Where else would I be able to access such boring but essential recordings as these:



There are so many sound clips like this on YouTube, all that can be used for remembering how things sound. Nothing can replace being there on the scene with notebook at the ready to describe things, but sometimes life gets the way, memory fades, setting that require descriptions are not readily accessible. In those cases, thank you Internets! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment