Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Inspirational Track for the Mage's Apprentice, Chapter 20


For my inspirational track this week, I really went back -- all the way back to the mid-nineties, to one of the very first tracks that inspired me to create my fantastical world of Omorbia.

This was the first track off of a double cassette (yup) set of classical standards that I received as a Christmas gift when I was in either fifth or sixth grade. Possibility fourth -- not really clear in my memory. And yes, I really was that kind of kid. I listened to that thing I don't know how many times, whenever I wanted some Omorbia-related inspiration --- I remember tracks from Romeo and Juliet, the opera, and this one, in particular. Oh, and the Magic Flute. There was something on there from the Magic Flute.

Anyways, this being the first track and an overture, it always made me think about the beginning of the stories. I could see it very vividly: how the Omorbia epic would begin with the reader's descending through clouds, as if flying, and opening onto a land of green surrounded by shimmering seas...



Of course, such cinematic panning doesn't really translated very well onto the page. And neither does the unfolding of an entire story in 8-odd minutes. So the story has morphed and changed over the years. But drawing inspiration from this particular track never seems to.

No comments:

Post a Comment